Thursday, April 3, 2014

strange things growing in trees


This looks like something straight from Dr. Seuss, especially in the trees that have a lot of them.


This is from a different tree, but might be the same thing. Certainly must be related, in any case - equally Seuss-like.


Here are three more things in the category of "strange things attached to trees."  The middle one I thought might be some sort of strange nest. For that matter, the first one is rather round... I suppose it could be, too, though I've never seen one that color. I saw a number of things looking like the last one. 




Anyone have any ideas? I have bird books to consult to identify the punk ducks I also saw on the walk (another blog post?), but strangely enough, we have no Peterson's Guide to Odd Things in Trees.

2 comments:

  1. Can't help, but love the photos. We're getting to see a whole life in Duxbury that wasn't seen much before the convent moved there and you get all 4 seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a type of lichen. It loves clean air. It amazes me how like Scotland Duxbury is. I never knew...

    ReplyDelete