Thursday, March 31, 2011

still waiting

As my computer, following hospice care and much intervention, has finally been given last rites, I have found it a challenge to keep up with news on Haiti.  Now that I've had a chance to get online, I see that I needn't have rushed: there are no results yet.  Here is the link to the CNN article:

Haiti's presidential election results delayed by fraud

Not much in the way of detail,  unfortunately, but we may hear more later.  I understand that the preliminary count should be announced Monday now and that the final count will likely be April 16. 

Perhaps it is a Lenten opportunity to grow in patience.  Perhaps it is somehow related to the weather, which is also behind schedule. During supper this evening, I was contemplating the potential merits of packing up my winter clothing when I noticed it was snowing.

Everyone sing together now:  "Anticipa-a-tion is making me wait, is keeping me wai-ai-ai-ai-aiting..."

Meanwhile, a prayer for good government.  Perhaps this evening we can pray this both for our own home countries and for Haiti.

Heavenly Father, Spirit of justice and truth, grant to our governments and all who serve in public life, wisdom and skill, imagination and energy; protect them from corruption and the temptation of self-serving. help us to commit ourselves to the common good that our land may be a secure home for all its peoples, through Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace. Amen*

*This prayer is from the Anglican Church of Australia Mossman/Port Douglas Parish and may be found at http://anglicansfnq.comfypage.com/12.htm , listed as Pentecost 12

No comments:

Post a Comment