Thursday, November 24, 2011

giving thanks

There is so much for which to be thankful this Thanksgiving: for family and friends, for my community, for food and clothing and shelter and health.  I'm thankful today that we have running water back, as it was out overnight - not a major problem, but it makes me realize once again just how important it is.  I'm grateful to have a supply of clean, treated drinking water as well.  It's those little things. And I am thankful finally to be in Haiti. God is so gracious to allow me to be here.


Merci Seigneur - Thank you, Lord
taptap

Giving thanks in Haiti certainly has a different perspective to it.  I had forgotten how many taptaps (little colorful buses, privately owned but running as a main form of transportation) say "Merci Jesus."  If you add the related slogans, you have quite an impressive amount of thanks happening in a place where praise and thanksgiving might be harder to come by.  I was also cheered to see today a taptap that said, "Merci Manman" (Thank you, Mom)!  But there is perspective here about what is really important.  My prayer is that I learn to trust and give thanks to God with my whole heart in the midst of difficulty; this is a good place to learn how that is lived.




In God we trust
taptap


Grace de Dieu - Grace of God
taptap
Port-au-Prince
“Thou that hast given so much to me,
Give one thing more–a grateful heart:
Not thankful when it pleaseth me,
As if thy blessings had spare days,
But such a heart whose Pulse may be
... Thy Praise.”
~~George Herbert
1593-1633

(Thanksgiving for JH, who passed this quote along.)

3 comments:

  1. We are grateful for you and the way you inspire us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome! Hope to meet you one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. Ruth, I would enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete