Sunday, March 25, 2012

oil and water

It’s pouring down rain tonight and, as expected, the power went out. For the second time this evening, actually. So I lit my kerosene lamp and settled down, only to see it begin to splutter out. I peered at it. No more kerosene.

“Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning” began running through my head as I gave up on uploading a few photos. Time for a shower and bed, I thought. It’s been a good day, but a long one, as we went to the Parish of the Annunciation in Darbonne for their patronal festival. (More on that later, I hope.)

So off I went to the bathroom, candle in glass jar in hand, lit the little kerosene lamp in there, turned on the mini solar-powered lantern (I’m abounding in options, as you see – it’s just that the kerosene lamp is the best of them), and got into the shower.

And waited for the water to arrive. It usually takes a minute since I keep the water pressure extremely low. So I waited. And eventually it occurred to me that there just wasn’t any – that water sound was entirely the rain. Rather than deal with buckets, I decided the shower could wait till mid-morning after water is pumped up there again. There are advantages to a day off.

Did I mention it was pouring down rain? Perhaps I should just go run around outside in it for a while.

Finally got to bed. Blew out my candle and settled down. It finally occurred to me that I needed to turn off the light switch in case the power came back on during the night. As I was reaching for it, it came back on. Let there be light.

Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning.
Give me oil in my lamp, I pray.
Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning.
Keep me burning till the break of day.

Sing hosanna, sing hosanna,
Sing hosanna to the King of kings.
Sing hosanna, sing hosanna,
Sing hosanna to the King.

Give me water in my bath, make me clean.
Give me water in my bath, I pray.
Give me water in my bath, make me clean.
Through your grace make me clean today.

Sing hosanna, sing hosanna,
Sing hosanna to the King of kings.
Sing hosanna, sing hosanna,
Sing hosanna to the King.



No comments:

Post a Comment