Saturday, February 15, 2014

Toto, I don't think we're in Port-au-Prince anymore...

It was cool in Port-au-Prince today - only 86. Sigh.

...and it begins...

Yes, it's pretty. Very pretty. But this is a lot of pretty.

14"-18" predicted here

My little flashlight is in my pocket in case the power goes out, which I gather it might.  Shades of Haiti, but a whole lot colder.  That's the thing - at least in Haiti you can't freeze to death in short order. Not that we'll do so at the convent - we have enough generator power to keep the main convent at around 50F, or so I hear. They lost power for a few days in last year's storms.  (Does that mean we can say we've already checked that box, so we don't need to do it again?)

Well, we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, I'm grateful to live someplace that not only has that generator power, but also isn't drafty. Or leaky.  And has one outlet in the refectory that will work on generator power, to which one can attach the coffeemaker. This I discovered on my own earlier this winter during a mercifully brief power outage. This is what you call spoiled.

Remind me of this tomorrow if I'm shivering under my covers early in the morning with no heat in my room. I may forget.

Even the birds look chilly in the snow. Beautiful, though.

Most people don't have generators. Some people have nowhere to live to begin with.  What are they doing?  Duxbury, thanks be to God, has warming centers they open, so if people can get there - and that's another issue - they will be warm and probably fed, too.

Well, let's light a candle rather than cursing the darkness.  And then enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment