Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Blizzard 2015

Greetings from Cambridge! I'm up here staying with the SSJE brothers at the monastery for a seminar this week, so I have not been home to see what a blizzard looks like in Duxbury.  I gather from Twitter that 28% of Duxbury lost power, and I saw that the Sisters got power back - not that I know what time they lost it originally.


 It wasn't unexpected - for some reason we seem to lose power in Duxbury fairly easily.  Comparatively speaking, that is.  Now, after time in Haiti, I don't worry about that too much if we don't need heat, but this time of year it's another story. We do have a generator to keep the convent's core from getting below 50. Or at least I think that's the case. As I said, I've not been there for this. In any case, we have a plan for what happens if we wake up in the morning with no power, so our bases are covered.

planning ahead

We definitely made the news up here:

 Over 30 inches of snow falls in New England blizzard, major coastal flooding continues

No mercy: Blizzard slams Boston area with 2 feet of snow

 Here's some of what I posted on Twitter pre-storm Sunday just for contrast:

the convent pre-storm

serene bay - the calm before the storm

Now here I am in Cambridge.  We never have lost power, and I think we are out of the danger zone for that (maybe I shouldn't say that out loud...).


The snow, though, is reasonably impressive for this part of the world, especially since we've had such a very mild winter so far. Plenty of wind, too, of course, given that it's a blizzard.  We had planned to start shoveling dark and early, right after 6AM Morning Prayer, but that was nixed due to the wind.

Snow may be inconvenient, but it's pretty to look at, especially when the snowy branches are framed so nicely.

This is a much less scenic view - but I was suitably impressed with the depth illustrated here.
snowy cloister garden

We finally did go out to shovel after lunch.  I must say, we made an impressive crew: a number of brothers and their interns along with three sisters.  Many hands don't make short work with this much snow, but they make much shorter work, relatively speaking. And the brothers do have an impressive number of snow shovels. Teamwork, indeed.  This is a fine example of what living in community can be like.

I started shoveling here (photos from inside, needless to say!):



 Naturally, I  made a snow angel in this impressive accumulation on the steps before beginning. Yes, I was covered in snow, but since it was already past my knees and blowing around, that was inevitable, so why not enjoy it?!


Next stop, helping dig out the cars. And that took a while.

This evening, out the window with my phone, I took this picture of a couple of cars in a neighboring parking lot. Their owners will need to plan some serious time digging out, so let's hope they figure this out before they next need to leave for work.

buried cars

Meanwhile, back on the ranch:

Tuesday late afternoon - not over yet


It's still snowing, so we shall see what tomorrow brings. It's not quite over.  

Pray for those with inadequate shelter, those with no power, and all those out working on our behalf in the midst of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment